Defined contribution plans
Wellington Management has a long heritage of managing retirement assets. We provide defined contribution (DC) plans with advanced investment thinking and holistic solutions to help improve participant outcomes.
Why partner with Wellington
Why partner with Wellington
Independent and historically stable
- Private partnership focused solely on clients’ goals
- Track record of low portfolio-manager turnover
- Fiduciary mind-set that aligns with plan sponsors’ role
Investment-focused and collaborative
- Singular focus on investment management
- Open investment platform helps us avoid internal silos as we create solutions tailored to our clients’ needs
Experience and scale
- We have managed assets for some of the largest DC plans in the world for over 20 years
- One of the world’s largest subadvisers
- CIT onboarding tool that greatly streamlines and facilitates the process of adopting a CIT
OUR DC PHILOSOPHY
Research shows that historically there has been a meaningful shortfall in the returns of defined contribution plans versus those of defined benefit plans. Best practices in institutional investing can potentially help close this gap. Central to our investment philosophy is the belief that diversification, downside risk mitigation, and active management at compelling fees can be key drivers of retirement success.
• A broad range of high-quality core menu options
• Niche strategies that can be sleeves of a multi-manager, custom approach
• Multi-asset solutions for inflation hedging, preretirement/retirement
Our DC options
Collective investment trusts
Wellington Trust Company, NA, an affiliate of Wellington Management Company LLP, offers a variety of investment approaches through daily valued collective investment trusts that are available solely to certain qualified employee retirement plans.
Wellington Management Company LLP offers management of separate accounts for DC plans interested in bespoke strategies with customized guidelines.
Many of our strategies are available in mutual funds offered by our subadvisory clients.
MEET SOME OF OUR DC PROFESSIONALS
Robert P. Ball, CFA
Rob leads the firm’s US Defined Contribution business and manages one of the firm’s largest subadvisory relationships. He joined Wellington in 2004.
John E. (Jed) Petty, CFA
Director of DC Strategies and Relationship Manager
Jed serves as a partner to our defined contribution clients, assisting them with long-term investment strategy and policy issues. He joined Wellington in 2005 and has held positions based in the US and Singapore.
Christopher J. Goolgasian, CFA, CPA, CAIA
Director of Climate Research and Portfolio Manager, Boston
As director of Climate Research on the Sustainable Investment Team, Chris spearheads a collaborative initiative between Wellington Management and Woodwell Climate Research Center (WCRC) to integrate climate science and asset management. This alliance, launched in 2018, focuses on creating investor tools to help analyze and better understand how and where climate change may impact global capital markets.
Brendan M. MacKenzie, CFA
Business Development Manager
Brendan focuses on establishing and developing relationships with defined contribution consulting firms as well as corporate retirement plan sponsors. He joined Wellington in 2017.